Gallery Stratford is looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to leverage the organization’s sound financial position and spearhead its growth moving forward. Under the authority and guidance of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall direction and management of the Gallery to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization. The ideal candidate will be an active leader in the community with a proven record of success in fundraising, people management, and financial management in a not-for-profit visual arts organization.
Reports to: President of the Board of Directors
Hire, lead, train and evaluate Gallery full and part-time staff as well as overseeing the activities of volunteers and other professionals such as educators and installers
- Develop an Annual Business Plan and Annual Budget
- Maintain a balanced budget through realistic budget-setting and expense management
- Identify and pursue all appropriate revenue sources including government grants, fundraising campaigns and events, community/corporate sponsorships and donor relations
- Lead and support committee members of the annual “I Love My Gallery Auction and Gala”, the Gallery’s largest single fundraiser each year
- Oversee and approve all marketing programs and corporate branding
- Promote the Gallery and its programs in all forms of media and to the general public in a senior public relations role in order to manage and enhance the Gallery’s image
- Oversee and approve curatorial and educational programming to enhance regional artistic production and public access to and participation in the visual arts
- Liaise with the City of Stratford to maximize the Gallery’s capital assets and enhance the visitor experience
- Manage the facility and web-based technologies to enhance productivity, ensure strong customer service and build an interactive and engaging visitor experience both onsite and via web applications
- Provide monthly reports to the Board and support the Board and Executive Committee meeting processes
Minimum Skills & Requirements
- University Degree in Fine Arts and/or Arts Management or Business Management
- 5-plus years of leadership experience preferably in a public art galleries/museum context
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, artists, volunteers andthe public
- Track record of excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills and fiscal management
- Excellent computer knowledge including database, spreadsheet management
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references, by May 31, 2013 using one of the following methods:
356 Ontario Street
Stratford, N5A 7X6
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Visitor Services Assistant
10 weeks, full time
Gallery Stratford is looking for a Visitor Services Assistant to promote exhibitions and education programs to the community and the national art audience. The objective is to increase participation in Gallery programs, tourist visitation through the use of different marketing strategies such as print distribution, email and web campaigns. The Assistant will provide an enhanced visitor experience to the Gallery, and support projects in the areas of customer service, marketing, and special events.
Animate current exhibitions and promote upcoming programs: the Assistant will encourage exploration and appreciation of the exhibition, and provide information on upcoming tours and classes.
Marketing initiatives and special events: the Assistant will help promote programs and events, and provide administrative support such as data entry and tracking attendance.
Respond to visitor needs, such as requests for information and suggestions for future programs at the Gallery: the Assistant should maintain an electronic organizational system to collect the information in a way that is accessible to programming staff.
Initiate and tabulate visitor surveys: the Assistant will help design a survey to gage the effectiveness of current marketing initiatives, collect emails to allow the dissemination of the Gallery E-newsletter, and collect postal codes for analysis of geographic studies of visitation patterns.
Organize data of Canadian artisans featured in the gift shop: the Assistant will maintain the database of gift shop items, and research background information on the featured artisans to be made available to Gallery visitors. The Assistant will also take exhibition admission and manage gift shop sales.
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Previous customer service experience
- Visual art knowledge and familiarity with museums and galleries are assets
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by June 5 to:
54 Romeo Street, Stratford, ON N5A 4S9
This position is funded by Service Canada. Applicants must be between the ages of 16 to 30, attended school full time in the spring and returning to school in the fall. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.